Feature-rich 4-bay NAS Server for Workgroups and Offices
Synology RackStation RS812 offers an affordable and full-featured network attached storage solution, specifically designed for small business and workgroup users who need to share and protect data cost-effectively, while increasing productivity with comprehensive office applications. Running on DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system, it delivers ease of use and variety of features.
- Optimal Price/Performance Ratio
- 2 LAN with Failover and Link Aggregation Support
- Scale up to 8 Drives with Synology RX410
- VMware®, Citrix®, Microsoft® Hyper-V® compliance
- Power-saving with only 37 Watts in Operation
- Affordable Total Cost of Ownership
- Running on Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM)
Optimal Price/Performance Ratio
Synology RS812 delivers an average 54.27 MB/sec writing speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows® environment, and 107.74 MB/sec reading. The 2 LAN with failover support and hot-swappable drives will ensure continual service uptime should the drives need replacement or the unexpected LAN failure. Synology RS812 provides a reliable solution for data sharing with an easy to use interface, and comprehensive office applications, including a complete backup solution making it one of the best values in 4-bay rackmount NAS devices available today.
Robust & Affordable Scalability Up to 32TB
When the storage capacity of the Synology RS812 is nearing its capacity limit, it can easily be expanded with the Synology RX410 expansion enclosure. The Synology RX410 securely connects to the Synology RS812 via an eSATA cable with specially-designed locking connectors. The Synology RX410 expands the existing storage on the Synology RS812 up to a maximum 32TB capacity.
Cross Platform File Sharing
Synology RS812 offers comprehensive network protocol support, assuring seamless file sharing across Windows®, Mac®, and Linux® platforms. Windows® AD and LDAP integration allows the Synology RS812 to quickly and easily fit into an existing business network environment with no need to recreate user accounts on the Synology RS812. Internet file access is simplified by the encrypted FTP server and the web-based file explorer, Synology File Station. HTTPS, firewall, and IP auto-block support ensure file sharing over the Internet is protected at a high security level.
For users who are always on the move, Synology provides a handy app, DS file for the users of iPhone®, iPad® and Android™ phones. Anything stored on Synology RS812 can now be accessed remotely using DS file via the Internet.
iSCSI and Virtualization Ready
With the iSCSI support in DSM, the Synology RS812 provides a seamless storage solution for virtualization servers, such as VMware®, Citrix® and Hyper-V®. It is the ideal alternative to SAN solution for businesses. Affordable and cost-effective iSCSI allows large scale business to consolidate storage into data center storage arrays while providing hosts with the illusion of locally-attached disks.
Complete Backup Solutions
Synology RS812 offers a centralized backup target to consolidate fragmented and unstructured data across a network. PC users can back up their data to Synology RS812 using Synology Data Replicator software, and Mac OS X® users enjoy native Apple® Time Machine® integration.
A web-based backup wizard is provided for backing up data in Synology RS812 to another Synology DiskStation or any rsync server via an encrypted protocol, or to an external hard drive via USB connection. In addition, backing up to the cloud using Amazon S3® service is supported. The add-on package, Time Backup, keeps DiskStation data in multiple versions, so IT administrators could easily keep track of them and restore to previous version whenever required.
Rich Office Applications
Synology RS812 runs on the award-winning operating system, Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), which offers comprehensive applications and features designed specifically for office and business workgroups.
Web Station with PHP/MySQL® support allows a single Synology RS812 to host up to 30 websites and numerous 3rd party web applications, such as Content Management, Customer Relationship Management & e-Commerce system. The built-in mail server turns Synology RS812 into a dedicated mail service provider, while the add-on package, Mail Station 2, provides a webmail interface for users to access emails stored on Synology RS812.
Synology Surveillance Station offers a centralized interface to manage IP cameras deployed in your office or home, allowing users traveling miles away to safeguard the environment by watching live views, recording events, and taking snapshots with a computer or mobile device.
A wealth of add-on packages allows the Synology RS812 to replace several pieces of network hardware. VPN Server offers an easy VPN solution that turns your Synology RS812 into a VPN server, providing a secure way of connecting to a private LAN at a remote location. Directory Server allows Synology RS812 to host LDAP service with centralized access control, authentication, and account management, further enhancing your office management efficiency.
Energy Efficient Design
Synology RackStations are designed and developed with energy efficiency in mind. Compared with the average PC counterparts, Synology RS812 consumes only 37 watts in operation. All Synology products are produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packing materials. Synology acknowledges the responsibility as a global citizen to continually work to reduce the environmental impact of every product produced.
- CPU Frequency : 1.6GHz
- Hardware Encryption Engine
- Memory : DDR3 512MB
- Internal HDD/SSD : 3.5″ or 2.5″ SATA(II) X4 (Hard drive not included)
- Max Internal Capacity : 16TB (4X 4TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types) (See All Supported HDD)
- Hot Swappable HDD
- External HDD Interface : USB 2.0 Port X 2, eSATA Port X 1
- Rail Kit: Synology 1U Rail Kit Sliding / Synology 1U Rail Kit Fixed (optional)
- Size (HxWxD) : 44 X 430.5 X 457.5 mm
- Weight : 6.9Kg
- LAN : Gigabit X2
- Link Aggregation
- System Fan : 40x40mm X3
- Wireless Support (dongle)
- Noise Level : 22.6 dB(A)
- Power Recovery
- AC Input Power Voltage : 100V to 240V AC
- Power Frequency : 50/60 Hz, Single Phase
- Power Consumption : 37W (Access); 14W (HDD Hibernation);
- Operating Temperature : 5°C to 35°C (40°F to 95°F)
- Storage Temperature : -10°C to 70°C (15°F to 155°F)
- Relative Humidity : 5% to 95% RH
- Maximum Operating Altitude : 6,500 feet
- Certification : FCC Class A, CE Class A, BSMI Class A
- Warranty : 3 Years
- Noise Level Testing Environment: Fully loaded with Seagate 1TB ST31000520AS hard drive(s) in idle; Two G.R.A.S. Type 40AE microphones, each set up at 1 meter away from the DiskStation front and rear; Background noise: 16.49-17.51 dB(A); Temperature: 24.25-25.75˚C; Humidity: 58.2-61.8%;
- Power consumption is measured when fully loaded with Western Digital 3TB WD30EZRS hard drive(s).
DSM Specifications (See more)
- Storage Management
- Max File System Size : 16TB
- Max Internal Volume # : 256
- Max iSCSI Target # : 10
- Max iSCSI LUN # : 256
- Supported RAID Type : Synology Hybrid RAID, Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10
- RAID Migration : Basic to RAID 1, Basic to RAID 5, RAID 1 to RAID 5, RAID 5 to RAID 6
- Volume Expansion with Larger HDDs : Synology Hybrid RAID, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6
- Volume Expansion by Adding a HDD : Synology Hybrid RAID, RAID 5, RAID 6
- Global Hot Spare Supported RAID Type : RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10
- Synology Expansion Unit Support : RX410
- File Sharing Capability
- Max User Accounts : 2048
- Max Groups : 256
- Max Shared Folder : 256
- Shared Folder Sync – Max task number : 4
- Max Concurrent CIFS/AFP/FTP Connections : 256
- Windows Access Control List (ACL) Integration
- VMware vSphere 4
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2012
- Citrix Ready
Add-on Packages (See more)
- Antivirus Essential
- Audio Station
- Cloud Station
- Maximum of Concurrent File Transfers : 256
- DHCP Server
- Directory Server
- DNS Server
- Download Station
- Maximum Concurrent Download Tasks : 50
- Glacier Backup
- HiDrive Backup
- iTunes Server
- Mail Server
- Mail Station
- Media Server
- Photo Station
- RADIUS Server
- Surveillance Station
- MAX IP cam # (Licenses required) : 12 (1 Free License) (See All Supported IP Cameras)
- Total frame rate (FPS) : 120 FPS @ D1 (NTSC：720×480, PAL：720×576), 30 FPS @ WXGA (1280×800).
- Syslog Server
- Syslog Events per Second : 100
- Time Backup
- Maximum Task Number : 2
- Video Station
- Video Transcoding : Type 2 (See more)
- VPN Server
- Maximum Connections : 5
- 3rd Party Packages (See more)
- Surveillance Station throughput is tested with Axis M1011 (640X480) and Axis M1054 (1280X800); FPS set to 10 at every channel; Compression rate: 30%; Video Codec: MJPEG, MPEG4 (640X480 only), H.264; Recording Type is conducted with Motion Detection Recording (By Surveillance Station) and Continuous Recording; Actual performance may vary depending on camera settings and DiskStation loading.
Environment and Packaging
- RoHS Compliant
- Package Content
- Main Unit X 1
- Installation Disk X 1
- Welcome Note X 1
- Assembling Kit X 1
- AC Power Cord X 1
- Optional Accessories
- Camera License Pack
- Rail Kit
- Expansion Unit : RX410 x 1
(Updated : 2013/04/03)
- Brand Name: : Synology
- Model: : RS812
- Warranty: : 3 years limited
- Width: : 23.00 inches
- Height: : 8.00 inches
- Product Dimensions: 17 x 1.7 x 18 inches ; 15.2 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 19.3 pounds
- Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
- ASIN: B0061JPX7Y
- Item model number: RS812
- Date first available at Amazon.com: November 8, 2011