Ultra-High performance NAS Server Scales up to 144TB for Large Scale Business
Synology DiskStation DS3612xs offers ultra-high performance, scalable and full-featured network attached storage solution for large scale businesses that require an efficient way to centralize data protection, simplify data management, deploy virtualization solutions, and rapidly expand storage capacity with minimal time spent on setup and management. Synology DS3612xs is backed with Synology’s 3-year limited warranty.
- Ultra-high performance of 1000+ MB/sec throughput and 100,000+ IOPS1
- Scale up to 144TB with Synology DX12112
- Dual 10GbE ports support (with PCI-E add-on card)
- VMware®, Citrix®, Microsoft® Hyper-V® compliance
- CPU Passive Cooling Technology & System Fan Redundancy
- Expandable ECC RAM module (up to 6GB)
- Running on Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM)
With Link Aggregation, Synology DS3612xs delivers the high performance of over 1000 MB/sec throughput and 100,000 IOPS under RAID 5 configuration1. In addition to the default 4 Gigabit ports, dual 10GbE are supported with the add-on PCI Express x8 Gen2 Network Interface Card to maximize the system bandwidth. DS3612xs is able to bring you the ultra-high performance that your data-intensive application demands on the storage system.
High Reliability & Availability
Reliable functioning of commercial systems is of paramount concern to business users that depending on these servers everyday. Synology DS3612xs is now introduced with the fanless CPU heatsink to prevent the single point of failure, with the CPU passive cooling technology DS3612xs achieves the high reliability system design. When system detects fan failure, the built-in redundancy mechanism will spin up the functional fan(s) to properly ventilate the system, and support continuous operations until the replacement fan arrives. Therefore, potential system damages are minimized and system availability is maximized.
The network ports with failover support combining with hot-swappable drives will ensure continual service uptime during drives replacement or unexpected LAN failure. The ECC RAM module on DS3612xs will detect and correct errors that occur during data transmission. Supporting up to 6GB ECC RAM, DS3612xs provides secure data protection and performance to meet the need of large scale businesses for a strong foundation to face mission-critical tasks.
Robust Scalability Up to 144TB
Synology DS3612xs is also designed to grow with your business and provides the ability to seamlessly expand a single volume up to 108TB on the fly, with total storage capacity of 144TB. When the storage capacity of DS3612xs is nearing its limits, it can easily be expanded with Synology DX12112. It is connected to DS3612xs via an Infiniband cable that carries 12 Gb/s SATA signal to ensure maximum throughput.
Management of the large storage space on DS3612xs is simple and flexible. Multiple Volumes on RAID allows users to create more than one volume on a RAID structure, providing a flexible and efficient way to manage the storage across all hard drives. When the need for more space arises, the volume could be easily expanded without any service disruption.
Unified Storage and Virtualization Ready
Synology DS3612xs runs on the novel operating system, Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), which integrates file-level and block-level storage in one unified storage system platform providing management simplicity to reduce your total cost of ownership.
Comprehensive network protocol support (CIFS/SMB, AFP and NFS) assures seamless file sharing across Windows®, Mac®, and Linux platforms. iSCSI is also supported as the ideal alternative to SAN solution for business.
Affordable and cost-effective iSCSI allows large scale business to consolidate storage into data center storage arrays while providing hosts with the illusion of locally-attached disks. With the iSCSI support, DS3612xs provides a seamless storage solution for virtualization servers, such as VMware, Citrix, and Hyper-V. DS3612xs is also certified with the latest VMware vSphere® 5, supporting VMFS-5 and extended storage migration capability with better flexibility and higher performance in VMware virtualization platform.
Thin Provisioning is available for file-level iSCSI, enabling administrators to oversubscribe provision and then grow storage space as needed in safety. With Thin Provisioning, users are able to maximize the storage utilization to reduce the total cost of ownership for the storage system.
Full-featured Business Applications
The Synology DS3612xs offers applications and features designed specifically for large scale business. Windows ADS and LDAP integration allows DS3612xs to quickly and easily fit in an existing business network environment without recreating user accounts. Windows ACL support on DS3612xs provides much finer-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing IT staffs to set up privileges to files and folders on DS3612xs through their familiar Windows user interface.
The built-in backup application is provided for backing up data in the DS3612xs to another Synology NAS, expansion unit, any rsync server via an encrypted transmission. It is even possible to back up from DS3612xs to the cloud with the Amazon® S3 support. Shared Folder Sync is also available in DSM for implementing disaster recovery plans. With Shared Folder Sync, DS3612xs is able to replicate data to another DiskStation within the Intranet or across the Internet, helping to reduce the risk of business interruption.
Energy Efficient Design
Synology DS3612xs is designed and developed with energy efficiency in mind. Compared with the average storage server counterparts, DS3612xs consumes a relatively low amount of power and have the hard drives hibernate when not in use.
All Synology products are produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packing materials. Synology acknowledges the responsibility as a global citizen to continually work to reduce the environmental impact of every product produced.
1. Tested with dual 10GbE connection with Link Aggregation. The performance figures could vary on different environments.
2. DS3612xs supports up to two Synology DX1211, purchased separately.
- CPU Frequency : Dual Core 3.1GHz
- Floating Point
- Memory : DDR3 2GB ECC RAM (Expandable, up to 6GB)
- Internal HDD/SSD : 3.5″ or 2.5″ SATA(II) X12 (Hard drive not included)
- Max Internal Capacity : 48TB (12X 4TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types) (See All Supported HDD)
- Hot Swappable HDD
- External HDD Interface : USB 2.0 Port X 4, Expansion Port X 2
- Size (HxWxD) : 310 X 300 X 340 mm
- Weight : 10.53Kg
- LAN : Gigabit X4 (optional 10GbE X2 add-on card is supported)
- Link Aggregation
- Wake on LAN/WAN
- System Fan : 120x120mm X2
- Wireless Support (dongle)
- Noise Level : 29.4 dB(A)
- Power Recovery
- AC Input Power Voltage : 100V to 240V AC
- Power Frequency : 50/60 Hz, Single Phase
- Power Consumption : 132W (Access); 57.2W (HDD Hibernation);
- Operating Temperature : 5°C to 35°C (40°F to 95°F)
- Storage Temperature : -10°C to 70°C (15°F to 155°F)
- Relative Humidity : 5% to 95% RH
- Maximum Operating Altitude : 6,500 feet
- Certification : FCC Class A, CE Class A, BSMI Class A
- Warranty : 3 Years
- Noise Level Testing Environment: Fully loaded with Seagate 1TB ST31000520AS hard drive(s) in idle; Two G.R.A.S. Type 40AE microphones, each set up at 1 meter away from the DiskStation front and rear; Background noise: 16.49-17.51 dB(A); Temperature: 24.25-25.75˚C; Humidity: 58.2-61.8%;
- Power consumption is measured when fully loaded with Western Digital 2TB WD2002FYPS hard drive(s).
DSM Specifications (See more)
- Storage Management
- Max File System Size : 108TB
- Max Internal Volume # : 1024
- Max iSCSI Target # : 64
- Max iSCSI LUN # : 512
- iSCSI LUN Clone/Snapshot
- Supported RAID Type : Synology Hybrid RAID, Basic, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10
- RAID Migration : Basic to RAID 1, Basic to RAID 5, RAID 1 to RAID 5, RAID 5 to RAID 6
- Volume Expansion with Larger HDDs : Synology Hybrid RAID, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6
- Volume Expansion by Adding a HDD : Synology Hybrid RAID, RAID 5, RAID 6
- Global Hot Spare Supported RAID Type : RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10
- Synology Expansion Unit Support : DX1211
- File Sharing Capability
- Max User Accounts : 4096
- Max Groups : 512
- Max Shared Folder : 512
- Shared Folder Sync – Max task number : 16
- Max Concurrent CIFS/AFP/FTP Connections : 1024
- Windows Access Control List (ACL) Integration
- VMware vSphere 5 with VAAI
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2012
- Citrix Ready
Add-on Packages (See more)
- Antivirus Essential
- Antivirus by McAfee
- Audio Station
- Transcoding to MP3
- Cloud Station
- Maximum of Concurrent File Transfers : 1024
- DHCP Server
- Directory Server
- DNS Server
- Download Station
- Maximum Concurrent Download Tasks : 80
- Glacier Backup
- High Availability
- HiDrive Backup
- iTunes Server
- Mail Server
- Mail Station
- Media Server
- Photo Station
- RADIUS Server
- Surveillance Station
- MAX IP cam # (Licenses required) : 50 (1 Free License) (See All Supported IP Cameras)
- Total frame rate (FPS) : 500 FPS @ D1 (NTSC：720×480, PAL：720×576), 360 FPS @ WXGA (1280×800).
- Syslog Server
- Syslog Events per Second : 3000
- Time Backup
- Maximum Task Number : 16
- Video Station
- Video Transcoding : Type 1 (See more)
- VPN Server
- Maximum Connections : 20
- 3rd Party Packages (See more)
- Surveillance Station throughput is tested with Axis M1011 (640X480) and Axis M1054 (1280X800); FPS set to 10 at every channel; Compression rate: 30%; Video Codec: MJPEG, MPEG4 (640X480 only), H.264; Recording Type is conducted with Motion Detection Recording (By Surveillance Station) and Continuous Recording; Actual performance may vary depending on camera settings and DiskStation loading.
Environment and Packaging
- RoHS Compliant
- Package Content
- Main Unit X 1
- Installation Disk X 1
- Welcome Note X 1
- Assembling Kit X 1
- AC Power Cord X 1
- Optional Accessories
- Camera License Pack
- RAM Module : 2GB ECC RAM Module
- Expansion Unit : DX1211 x 2
(Updated : 2013/04/03)